The Chadron Community Foundation exists to provide a gifting vehicle for benefactors interested in the betterment of the city of Chadron, Nebraska.
Chadron Community Foundation
a 501(c) 3 charitable corporation
General Purpose: To promote the development of charitable, educational, cultural projects and other activities in and around the City of Chadron, Nebraska, whose objective is community improvement and betterment, and to solicit and receive gifts, bequests, grants and devises of property of any kind, for the use and benefit of the Chadron Community Foundation, Inc. (CCF) or for any successor institutions with the same or similar scientific, educational and cultural purposes, and to apply, expend and use any or all property so received to the use and benefit of community improvement and for such purposes as shall have been approved by the governing body of the corporation.
Governing Body: A four member Board of Directors governs the corporation. Officers include President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. Established in 2000.
Special Committees: The Board may establish special (ad hoc) committees. A member of the Board must serve on all committees and all committee requests must be made in writing to the Board for consideration. Examples of committees are the “Chadron Community Improvement and Betterment Committee” or the “Closer to Home Committee.”
Community Partners: The Foundation works with a number of charitable and community organizations in and around Chadron for the benefit of community improvement and betterment including, but not limited to, the following: Chadron State Foundation, Chadron Public Schools Foundation, Chadron Public Library, Inc., Chadron Community Hospital, Inc., Museum of the Fur Trade, Chadron Arts Center, Chadron City Parks Foundation, Dawes County Historical Society, Chadron Commercial Historic District, Chadron Community Recreation, Chadron Youth Baseball, Girls Scouts, Camp Norwesca, Nebraska Game and Parks, etc.
Overview of Funds and Programs: The following is a list example of past foundation iniatives and ongoing funds and initiatives:
* Dawes and Sioux Fire Fund (Closed in 2007): Raised over $200,000 to help mitigate losses incurred by individual property owners resulting from the 2006 wildfires.
* Dawes, Sioux and Sheridan Fire Fund (Closed in 2013): Raised over $75,000 to help rebuild fencing destroyed by the 2012 wildfires.
* Cattlemens Relief Fund (Closed in 2014): Raised over $500,000 to provide emergency relief to ranch families located Dawes and Sioux Counties of Nebraska and Fall River County in South Dakota who lost livestock in the fall blizzard of 2013 (Atlas).
* Greener Nebraska Towns (Closed in 2014): Administered a $45,000 grant program to improve the tree canopy in Chadron by planting over 400 trees and to promote water conservation.
* Historic District: Administers mini grants to assist in façade improvements in the Chadron Commercial Historic District, facilitated the UNL Archetechure Students via the Nebraska Rural Initiative, Pledged $10,000 of financial support to secure a $350,000 downtown revitalizaiton grant for the City of Chadron. Developed a walking tour for Chadron’s 125th cellabration in 2010.
* Girl Scouts Memorial Garden: To hold and administer funds to construct, improve and maintain the Girl Scouts Memorial Garden located on the west side of the Chadron Community Hospital.
* Honors Flight: As of March 1, 2015 the foundation has raised over $76,000 to send 47 local veterans and guardians to visit the Washington DC war memorials. 18 veterans are already signed up for the next trip.
* Closer to Home: As of March 1, 2015 the foundation has raised over $100,000 to provide nutritional and other assistance to the needy.
* Chadron Swimming Pool Project: Established a fund in 2013 to hold and administer funds to enclose the City of Chadron Swimming Pool.
* Marcus Cain Exhibit Building: Established a fund in 2014 to hold and administer funds to construct an exhibit building on the property of the Dawes County Historical Society to display farm implement inventions of Chadron area inventor, Marcus Cain.
How to contribute or establish a fund: Please contact Steve Cleveland, President of the Chadron Community Foundation at 308.432.5552 or PO Box 1125, Chadron, NE 69337; or Dan Garrett, CPA, Treasurer of the Chadron Community Foundation.
The Chadron Community Foundation is a registered non-profit organization. More information can be found at the following link.